Vladislav Firstov – cr. Stephanie Lyn Photography
- 6/18 Area Prep Softball Scores:
- Waterloo East was swept in a doubleheader by Dubuque Hempstead, 12-1 & 7-0
- Cedar Falls was swept in a doubleheader by Dubuque Wahlert, 4-1 & 9-8
- 6/18 Area Prep Baseball Scores:
- 1A: #1 Mason City-Newman 4 Waterloo Columbus 3
- The Waterloo Bucks pulled out a 5-4 at La Crosse last night. CLICK HERE for the recap. Listen online tonight right here at 1650TheFan.com for the Bucks series-finale against LaCrosse. First pitch is at 6:35.
- The NHL Draft takes place Friday and Saturday and former Black Hawks Matej Blumel and Vladislav Firstov are poised to be selected. CLICK HERE to read the story from WaterlooBlackHawks.com.
- ICYMI: Iowa State sophomore guard Tyrese Haliburton was announced this morning as a finalist for the Under-19 Team USA roster that’ll compete at the World Cup in Greece this summer. CLICK HERE for the story.
- ICYMI: With the trade deadline a little over a month away the ‘Lukewarm Stove’ at BleacherNation.com is heating up. CLICK HERE for the latest speculation and trade rumors surrounding the Chicago Cubs.
- ICYMI: Recent Cubs signee Craig Kimbrel has joined Triple-A Iowa in Sacramento and is expected to pitch tonight before making his way back to Des Moines with the I-Cubs on Thursday for a weekend home-stand. CLICK HERE for the story from Tommy Birch of the Des Moines Register.
- ICYMI: Former Waverly-Shell Rock standout and current UNI basketball redshirt sophomore Austin Phyfe joined me on the latest ‘On UNI Podcast’ presented by The Gazette. Phyfe talks about his recovery from vasovagal syncope – which kept him out of the majority of last season – as well as how his game has grown since his freshman season. CLICK HERE to listen.
Get Maximum Sports on 1650 The Fan / 102.3FM / the 1650 The Fan app / 1650TheFan.com. Start your day with Mark Simpson on ‘Maximum Mornings’, weekday mornings 6-8, featuring sports, news and weather. Finish your workday with the latest local, regional and national sports talk with Cole Bair on ‘Cole & Company’, weekday afternoons 5-6.