- The Waterloo Bucks were unable to hold an early lead yesterday at Riverfront Stadium, falling 10-3 to Thunder Bay. CLICK HERE for the recap. Listen online tonight right here at 1650TheFan.com for the Bucks series-finale against Thunder Bay. First pitch is at 6:35.
- Iowa State basketball sophomore guard Tyrese Haliburton is currently in the running for a spot on Team USA. Haliburton is training in Colorado Springs with roughly 35 other players for 12 roster spots. If Haliburton makes the squad he’ll head to Greece for the Under-19 Basketball World Cup at the end of the month. Roster finalists are set to be announced tomorrow morning.
- Recent Cubs signee Craig Kimbrel has joined Triple-A Iowa in Sacramento and is expected to pitch tonight before making his way back to Des Moines with the I-Cubs on Thursday for a weekend home-stand. CLICK HERE for the story from Tommy Birch of the Des Moines Register.
- With recent legislation legalizing sports gambling in Illinois a recent report indicates that the Chicago Cubs are interested in developing gambling facilities at and around Wrigley Field. CLICK HERE for the story.
- ICYMI: Former Waverly-Shell Rock standout and current UNI basketball redshirt sophomore Austin Phyfe joined me on the latest ‘On UNI Podcast’ presented by The Gazette. Phyfe talks about his recovery from vasovagal syncope – which kept him out of the majority of last season – as well as how his game has grown since his freshman season. CLICK HERE to listen.
- ICYMI: Former Iowa Hawkeye All-American Megan Gustafson has re-signed with the Dallas Wings after being cut by them before the WNBA season began. CLICK HERE for the story.
Get Maximum Sports on 1650 The Fan / 102.3FM / the 1650 The Fan app / 1650TheFan.com. Start your day with Mark Simpson on ‘Maximum Mornings’, weekday mornings 6-8, featuring sports, news and weather. Finish your workday with the latest local, regional and national sports talk with Cole Bair on ‘Cole & Company’, weekday afternoons 5-6.